In my testing carrier, I found that most of my colleagues are running around to find the solution for installing the Windows Mobile Application during the development process.
Client also facing the same problem when a developer send xap file to show the development progress. In such a situation, the developer must convey the steps to install the xap file in Release Notes.
Here, I am suggesting some important steps that would be helpful to you to stop running for an alternative solution for installing the xap file. In the steps, I have used the software downloading URLs (WindowsPhone 8 SDK, Windows Phone Power Tools, Zune Player, Unlock a WindowsPhone). If you are facing any problem while configuring such softwares please feel free to contact your IT Admin.
Instructions to install the Windows Mobile Applications
- Desktop/Laptop – Windows 8 64bit
- Windows Phone 8 SDK installed (http://developer.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk)
- Windows Phone Power Tools (as an Alternative to Visual Studio 2012) (http://wptools.codeplex.com/releases/view/97029)
- Zune for deployment in Windows Phone 7.1 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/confirmation.aspx?id=27163)
- Steps to developer unlock a windows phone (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff769508(v=vs.105).aspx)
Once the Prerequisites are installed in the given order. Please follow the following steps:
Steps to deploy XAP file on device
- Run Windows Power tools
- Connect a Windows phone 7.1/8 device, ensure the screen is unlocked.
- In the “Connect to” drop down choose device and click on “Connect”.
- Browse the XAP file from the saved location and click on the “install” button. Please uninstall any previously install version before installing.